Gamecocks gets 15 freeway signs for championship win – more than Clemson for theirs | New
On Friday, Gamecocks fans secured more bragging rights over their rival in the state.
It was around this time that the SC Department of Transportation installed the first of 15 road signs recognizing the 2017 South Carolina National Women’s Basketball Championship.
For those who matter, that’s two more signs the Clemson Tigers have won the National College Football Championship.
Interestingly enough, Christy Hall, the Secretary of State for Transportation, graduated from Clemson.
The first sign for the Gamecocks was lifted on the southbound SC 277 road on Friday near the Harden Street Extension intersections in Columbia.
– GamecockWBB (@GamecockWBB) May 26, 2017
The remaining panels will be installed at visitor centers near the South Carolina state border and other locations around Columbia, according to a statement from the University of South Carolina’s athletics department.
The signs, which were not using DOT funds, will remain in place for a year. The DOT said the signs were requested by USC.
When head coach Dawn Staley led the Gamecocks to victory in April, it was the program’s first time winning the NCAA Championship. In the same season, the South Carolina women’s basketball team also won their fourth straight SEC regular season championship and third straight SEC tournament title.
Here’s where all the signs will be:
- Visitor Center Eastbound I-20 (Exit Ramp) at Georgia State Limit, Aiken County
- Exit ramp I-20 Eastbound, Exit 58 (US 1), Lexington County
- I-20 Westbound Exit 73A (SC 277) Exit Ramp, Richland County
- Welcome Center Eastbound I-26 (exit ramp) at North Carolina state limit, Spartanburg County
- Eastbound I-26 Exit 111B (US 1) exit ramp, Lexington County
- Westbound I-26 Exit Ramp Exit 111B (US 1), Lexington County
- Visitor Center Southbound I-77 (exit ramp) to North Carolina state limit, York County
- Southbound I-77 Exit 5 (SC 48) exit ramp, Richland County
- Northbound I-77 Exit 5 (SC 48) exit ramp, Richland County
- Welcome Center I-85 Northbound (Exit Ramp) on the Georgia State Line, Oconee County
- Visitor Center Southbound I-85 (exit ramp) at North Carolina state limit, Cherokee County
- Welcome Center I-95 northbound (exit ramp) at Georgia state limit, Jasper County
- Visitor Center Southbound I-95 (exit ramp) at North Carolina state limit, Dillon County
- U.S. Welcome Center 17 Southbound (Exit Ramp) at North Carolina State Border, Horry County
- Southbound SC 277 before Harden Street Ext. Intersection, Richland County
Contact Caitlin Byrd at 843-937-5590 and follow her on Twitter @MaryCaitlinByrd.